But I don't want to cook!
Fast food is DESIGNED to make you want it, and to make you eat as much as possible. It is literally engineered to be that way. Sometimes getting info about that can help you want to stand up to that kind of deception and manipulation. Movies/Books like Fast Food Nation, Super Size Me, The End of Overeating, etc.
Also, learning about how bad that food is over time may help you decide you don't want to eat it.
However, you also MUST address the emotional/lifestyle trigger behind the desire/craving.
You don't feel like cooking... that is FINE! That is totally legitimate! There are many days when you may not feel like cooking. Cooking can be a joy...and cooking can be a total slog.
I used to be a sugar addict (also very addicting), and now I am passionate about helping people create their ideal relationship with food. I ALWAYS suggest spending some time to understand what is driving that craving. Yes, with fast food some of it is physical/biological...but there is also a lifestyle/emotion to it. In the case of fast food avoiding the work of cooking and the clean up after is a big part of it.
I focus on five steps:
1. Count the Joy - learn to celebrate food
2. Love Every Bite - you should eat foods you enjoy
3. Have Your Cake - include treats and foods you love
4. Eat Healthy Without Trying - this takes time, but you can train yourself to truly honestly prefer healthy foods!
5. Have a Plan - don't get caught too hungry or too busy
I wanted to explain all the steps because a lot of the understanding work comes first, you have to know where all your triggers are coming from before the changes will last.
And at the same you can start with some of the changes -- what usually comes at the end-- while you spend the time laying the emotional foundation.
In THIS case, how can you have a plan?
1. Keep food in your freezer or pantry that is better than fast food... look for frozen meals with no weird ingredients. Be it pizza or noodles whatever super easy item you prefer, take some time to stock a few "emergency rations".
2. Keep your fruit bowl full. Add fruit to any meal to round it out. Noodles again? Add some orange slices on the side to freshen it and lighten it. Feels like a fancy restaurant, too
3. Use paper plates. Sure, it makes waste...but so does fast food, so indulge at home once in a while, too.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.